On next Monday August 5th 2019 starting at 7am CEST we will conduct some maintenance. You might encounter some issues using the Exasol User Portal and Issue Tracker! We will restore the Exasol User Portal and Issue Tracker before 9am CEST on Monday August 5th 2019.
Table of Contents
Exasol on AWS versions in the AWS Marketplace
Two different Exasol on AWS offerings are availble via the AWS Marketplace.
We recommend reading the getting started guides before launching a database system.
We recommend setting up Exasol as cluster. This offers the following advantages:
- Scalability: easily scale out a cluster by adding additional nodes to process more data and to serve more concurrent users
- High availability: When a nodes failes the system automatically tries to repair this node or includes a standby node into the system (if a standby node was configured).
However, for small data sizes or evaluation purposes a single-node system might be be sufficient and appropriate.
Setting up a cluster using our CloudFormation templates is as easy as setting up a single node system. Instruction for both setups using CloudFormation templates can be found below (You might also have a look a our Cloud Deployment wizard that guides you through the sizing and configuration process)
Support, Troubleshooting & Software Updates
Exasol Analytic Database (Single Node and Cluster, Enterprise Support)
The Pay-as-you-go version of Exasol 6.1 Exasol Analytic Database (Single Node and Cluster, Enterprise Support) that can be purchased via the AWS Marketplace includes 24/7 incident management.
After registration the following services are available:
- This support offering is only valid for Exasol instances launched using the AWS Marketplace offering Exasol Analytic Database (Single Node and Cluster, Enterprise Support)
- In order to be fully eligible for support you have to register (see below). The registration process may take some days.
- SLAs only apply after successfully completing the onboarding process.
- In case you need support before the registration process has been completed you may already use the "send support request" from below.
Register for Exasol PAYG support for AWS*
Open Support Request*
* Please note that this support offering is only valid for Exasol instances started using the AWS Marketplace offering "Exasol Analytic Database (Single Node and Cluster, Enterprise Support)"
Exasol Analytic Database (Single Node and Cluster, Community Support)
This version has been discontinued and is no longer available to new customers.
Users of this product should migrate to the current product including support
This offer includes assistance from the Exasol Community (Community Support) and access to the Exasol Solution Center.
Database System Documentation and Further Reading
You can find the full documentation on using and administrating Exasol in the Exasol User Portal
If you just want to quickly find out how to load data into Exasol or how to connect Exasol to the most popular BI tools you should take a look the following guide: Getting Started
Furthermore the Solution Center that can also be found in the Exasol User Portal provides all kinds of problem specific guides and HowTos for using, integrating and optimizing Exasol.
- Scale-Out (Add nodes): Add one or more nodes to the database cluster and database
- Scale-Up/Down (Change instance type): Change the instance type/model of all data nodes in order to increase or decrease the overall processing power
- Increasing disk storage capacity: Increase the overall storage capacity by enlarging the data volumes of all database nodes.
Enhanced Failover Capabilities
Before a spare node had to be running all the time to provide automatic fail-safety capabilities in case of a node failure.
Starting with 6.1 on AWS failover capabilities are also available if:
- no spare/standby node is configured
- a spare node was configured but suspended (not running)
Recommendations for using Exasol on AWS
Recommended instance families: m4, m5, r4, r5, c5
Recommended storage: gp2 EBS storage
Backup storage: S3
Minimum size of main memory: 16 GB
Instance-integrated hard drives (ephemeral storage) and EBS volumes are supported for data storage.
In a production environment, we recommend using high-available EBS drives, as these provide maximum reliability and durability.
For EBS type we recommend using at least General Purpose SSD (gp2) volumes.For high IO requirements we recommend Provisioned IOPS SSD (io1).
Exasol AMI: Determine AMI ID and activate AMI for manual launch
The AMI-ID can be found in the AWS Marketplace offering:
Select "Manual Launch"
Select "Accept Software Terms" ( Otherwise you will not be able to succesfully launch the AMI)
The AMI-ID can be found on the "Manual Launch" tab
Upgrade/migrate from discontinued PAYG offering with community support to current PAYG offering with enterprise support - Unfortunately it is generally not possible to migrate systems from one AWS Marketplace offering to another one. Please backup the data, install a new cluster, and import data in this case
5.0.x - It is not possible to upgrade a 5.0.x AWS installation to a 6.0.x. Please backup the data, install a new cluster, and import data in this case
6.0.1 - if you consider upgrading AWS 6.0.1 to any later version, you need to apply the patch attached to this issue while the nodes are still running. Just upload it through EXAOperation in the Software tab: - DOWNLOAD-564Getting issue details... STATUS
|Key||content type||Summary||Affected Version/s|