On next Monday August 5th 2019 starting at 7am CEST we will conduct some maintenance. You might encounter some issues using the Exasol User Portal and Issue Tracker! We will restore the Exasol User Portal and Issue Tracker before 9am CEST on Monday August 5th 2019.
You are viewing an old version of this page. View the current version.
Exasol 6.1 includes various new features and enhancements. Starting with Exasol 6.1, CentOS 7 will be used as the operating system. For more information on what is new in Exasol 6.1, see the What's New section.
Before You Upgrade to Exasol 6.1
In general please consider the changed behavior for the version you upgrade to. It is documented on the download page for each version, e.g. Version 6.1.0. If you skip versions, then please also review the changed behavior for all skipped versions. E.g. when you update directly from 6.0.13 to 6.1.1 then review changed behavior for 6.1.0 and 6.1.1.
Some key information to consider before you upgrade to Exasol 6.1. You will need them during the upgrade process:
- Due to the major OS update to CentOS 7, we recommend that you perform the upgrade on a test system to ensure that there are no compatibility issues with the environment (such as hardware compatibility).
- As a precautionary measure ensure that you have a remote backup of all databases, so that you can restore your data from the backup if the upgrade is unsuccessful. If the upgrade is unsuccessful, do one of the following:
- Install Exasol 6.0.x and then restore the system by following the instructions mentioned in Restore a Database Instance from a Backup.
- Contact Exasol support to resolve the issue.
- Ensure you have Administrative privileges in EXAoperation.
- Make sure you uninstall the 3rd Party EXAoperation plugins before you start the upgrade.
- You already have a remote backup. For more information about remote backup, see Create a Remote Archive Volume and Restore a Database Instance from a Backup.
- Check if the disk is encrypted.
- Check if the cluster uses tagged private VLANs. You can download the nodes.xml file from EXAoperation to view this information.
- Check the network configuration of the License server using a maintenance user account.
Upgrade to Exasol 6.1 Using ISO Image
You can upgrade to Exasol 6.1 version by downloading the ISO image available in the customer portal downloads section.
- Upgrade via ISO is not supported for single-node installations based on an OVA file and Azure/AWS installations. Thus, trying to update such systems will result in an appropriate error message.
- Using this option, all data from the administration interface (EXAoperation) will be updated. However, the network configuration of the license server (VLANs, public IP address configuration, bonding) will not be updated. Please make a note of this information before starting the upgrade.
- If the license server was formerly installed with the one-node installation ISO, you have to use the EXASuite-6.1 one-node installation ISO. Likewise, if the license server was formerly installed using the cluster installation ISO, you have to use the EXASuite-6.1 cluster installation ISO for it. Otherwise, the update will be canceled with an appropriate error message.
Follow these steps to upgrade to Exasol 6.1 using an ISO image:
- Log in to the EXAoperation user interface.
- Go to Services > EXASolution.
- Make sure that no Backups or Restore process is running. The Backup/Restore column must display 'None'
- Shut down all the databases from Services > EXASolution.
Select all the databases and click the Shutdown button. The shutdown process could take a few minutes depending on the size of your databases. You can view the shutdown progress in the monitoring section (Services > Monitoring).
- Shut down the Exastorage service from Services > EXAStorage. Click the Shutdown Storage Service button.
The following screen is displayed when all the storage services are shutdown.
- Shut down all the nodes from Configuration > Nodes.
In the Nodes screen, select all the nodes. Next, from the Actions drop-down menu, select Stop Cluster Service and click Execute to stop all the nodes. This operation would take a few minutes and the progress can be checked in the monitoring section ((Services > Monitoring). All nodes when shutdown must display the status as Suspended as shown in the below image.
- Shut down the License server. Click the Shutdown button in the License Nodes section.
Mount the Exasol 6.1 ISO image file and boot the system from the ISO.
- At the command prompt, type update and press enter.
Select the hard drive to install and click OK.
If the disk was encrypted before the upgrade, select Encrypt device to encrypt the license server. Make sure that you use the same disk that was used before the upgrade.
- If there are multiple private networks, enter the number in the Number of tagged private VLANs and select OK.
- Set the IP addresses of your public network interface and confirm OK.
- Confirm that the network information is correct and change it if necessary. Select OK to continue.
- To begin the update process, select OK and press enter.
- Once the upgrade process is completed, you need to boot the system from local hard drive. At the command prompt, enter local and press enter.
- (Optional) Enter your login credentials at the next prompt.
(Optional) Check the status of EXACluster and EXAoperation on the License server status screen.
If the status is offline, you must wait until the status is changed to Running.
- Next, login to EXAoperation user interface.
- Check if the installation was successful. Go to Configuration > Software. The Versions tab must display the new version.
- Reboot all the nodes from Configuration > Nodes.
In the Nodes screen, select all the nodes. From the Actions drop-down menu, select Reboot and click Execute to start all the nodes.
- Restart the EXAstorage service from Services > EXAStorage. Click the Startup Storage Service button.
The version number of each active database must be updated manually. Go to Services > EXASolution and click the database instance name. In the EXASolution Instance screen click the Edit button and change the version from 6.0.x to 6.1.0. Click Apply to save the changes.
The below screenshot displays the updated the Exasol version number:
If the Exasol database instance version is not manually updated, then you will not be able to start the database. You will receive an error message as shown below:
The version number must be manually update on all the available database.
- Start the database from Services > EXASolution.
- Check if you can successfully connect to the database.
Upgrade to Exasol 6.1 Using a Backup
You can install Exasol 6.1 on your hardware and then use a backup of your earlier installation to restore the data to the new installation. These steps can be followed for all types of installations (single node installation based on OVA files or Azure/AWS, or a cluster).
Do the following to upgrade to Exasol 6.1 using a backup:
- Create an offline backup of the database and store it outside the cluster. For instructions about backup procedures, see Backup Management.
- Install Exasol 6.1. on your cluster as a new installation. For instructions about installation procedures, see Installation Guide.
- Create a database on the new installation. For instructions about database management, see Database Instance Management.
- Restore the backup to the new installation. For instructions about restore procedures, see Restore a Database Instance from a Backup.
Post Upgrade Activity
The system privileges for IMPORT/EXPORT and the changed priority group management is not set automatically after the upgrade. To set these settings, execute the following statements as a sys user:
- No labels