Zalando is the rising star in the world of e-commerce. Back in 2008, the sale of footwear and clothing across the web was hard to imagine. Yet, since then Zalando has managed to provide online access to fashionwear for more than 14 million customers across Europe. The online retailer, who recently went public, now offers customers the chance to purchase more than 150.000 products from about 1.500 brands in 15 European countries with ease – whether on a PC, tablet or smartphone – anywhere and at any time.
But an increase in orders and in the various fashion lines available means more and more data being generated more quickly. In order to streamline transactions with customers, merchants and logistic companies, Zalando needs standardized processes and consistent data on products, inventories,
orders, customers and deliveries. Therefore, the analytic in-memory database EXASOL has been implemented as a fundamental part of the company’s data warehouse system in order to support the order process and to ensure that Zalando’s customers benefit from an optimal availability of products and apparel.
- Effectively managing the increase in data volumes
- Easy integration into existing infrastructures and applications/ low-maintenance
- Information on product availability has to be retrievable in real-time
- Good price/performance ratio
- EXASOL fits in to Zalandos architecture and connect effortlessly to existing frontend BI tools
- EXASOL could be on the long run integrated into Zalandos data warehouse as an analytic layer
- Short analysis run-times
- Freeing-up of resources in various departments such as purchasing, auditing or logistics
- Designing the repeat order process as efficient as possible along with simplifying the company’s CRM
“By implementing the in-memory database, Zalando can now benefit from a higher degree of flexibility. EXASOL offers a clear performance advantage, too.”